Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Gym Review: Xcon (Tiger City Boxing Gym)

"No Boundaries. No Limits." For the old and the new kids on the block, Tiger City's one of the underappreciated gyms will certainly take you by surprise.



How to get there - Xcon, more popularly known as Tiger City Boxing Gym, is located at 248 Sto. Rosario St. Plainview, Mandaluyong. Getting to the place is quite simple. From Manila, just coast through Boni Ave and right before you reach the circle (Maysilo Circle), turn right to Sto. Rosario. Head straight and on the corner, the gym should be at your sight. There's not a lot of establishments surrounding the area so before going there make sure you already had your breakfast (or lunch). Be advised as well that this exact area along Boni Ave is very prone to floods. Consider yourself warned.

 The Place


I went there at around 3 o'clock when the sun was shining at its brightest. I immediately sensed the nearby area was generally peaceful and quiet, it kind of reminds me of our home in the province. The atmosphere is unbelievably similar, it gives you the relaxing vibe.  

From the outside, the place looked like a huge abandoned house that you inherited from your great grand mother. On the left hand side, don't be surprised if you see a mini tree-house. It's where some of the trainers sleep as most of them are "stay-in" coaches. But no, you won't see couples sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G. 

In terms of parking, there's a decent space and I would estimate around 6 - 8 cars can fit in it. The inside would be a totally different story. Floor area is huge, there's an enormous space in the middle for the pad work. You can see ropes hanging on the poles on either side and a couple of stationary bikes if the space isn't enough to get you warmed up! There's a mini weight room, a medium-sized boxing ring and right beside it is another space for different work out routines. They also have a changing and shower room if you end up full of sweat (which you will).

 

Price and Promos



pardon my shaky hands. pic was taken after workout
Annual Membership: 1000
Standard price. Most of the gyms are at this price point.

Boxing: 300 (350 walk-in)
This amount is hovering at the higher end of my own market value range but still borderline standard. Take advantage of the 200/day special if you avail of the 12 sessions (monthly).  For hardcore boxing enthusiasts, go for the unlimited monthly special at 4000.

Strength and conditioning (functional) work out can also be availed at the same price. Bring your own gear as they don't have gloves or wraps for rent.


The Experience


The coaches available any day are 6 to 8, most are stay-in trainers. The trainer that was assigned to me looked like he just fought for a championship belt, he had a small wound on his face that appeared like it's on the second stage of healing. His physique was like mine (although his is way more muscular). He walked up to me with a device in his hands - a small timer. "Let's warm up", he said. To my surprise he actually did compete just a week ago - it was a 12-round championship fight. He told me that he had been defending his belt for quite some time and for him to be able to move up the rankings, he had to go up a weight class. WOW.


students getting their groove on

6 minutes of skipping ropes is done. Now he hands me this plastic pole to do some dynamic stretching exercises. That was a first for me! I never thought I was that stiff until I tried doing the pole exercises - it was an amazing experience indeed! I was then given a full round of rest.

Then we hit the mitts. The first round was like a "feeling out" process, he was looking carefully at my foot work and stance: he was watching how I threw my jab... everything. The next thing I knew, we were at the end of the 4th round and he yells, "Last two, brother." At that point my heart rate was faster than the cars in South Super Highway.  6 rounds ended and it left me hating everything in life for about a minute. I felt unstoppable!

the aqua punching bag
We rest for another round then headed to the bags. Now this was something incredible that I have never seen before in ANY gym - a hanging aqua bag. It's a round, tear-shaped punching bag that has water inside, covered by vinyl material. You would think that changing the inside of the punching bag from sand, ripped clothes, sheets, rags, cotton, wool, rice, feathers, styrofoam, shredded tires to WATER would make no difference and you would be absolutely wrong. 

He told me to do 4 rounds of bag work with their aqua punching bag. Supervised the whole time, I thought this was going to be just another "walk in the bag". 30 seconds in, I was feeling the soreness on my shoulders every time I threw a punch. "This is very weird", I told myself. Furthermore, every attempt to throw a power punch does not make any remarkable impact on the bag. It only made my shoulders feel more heavy and sore, as if I were lifting weights.

Rest. Then he walked me to the speed ball station to do 3 rounds of speed ball training. 
Rest. He then advised me that we are almost done. He grabbed a sledge hammer from the floor and pointed it to what seemed to be a spare tire of a 16-wheeler truck. Hammer & tire workout! It was yet another new advanced routine that I was able to add in my arsenal. 


the boxing ring


Value


The whole training session lasted for more than an hour but I stayed longer to try some of the different equipment they have. I also did rope climbing and some core workout using the dumbells. Now, let me give a quick recap through FYI's in this awesome experience. 

the skinny guy working the rope :)
FYI#1 - It was my first time to do 6 rounds of mitts training STRAIGHT. Trainers in most boxing gyms will do a maximum of 3 continuous rounds with you. To be honest, I have no idea why we did 6 rounds. (Maybe he was fond of me?) 
FYI#2- It was my first time to stretch with the long plastic pole. 
FYI#3- It was my first time to workout using the aqua punching bag.
FYI#4- It was my first time to do the sledgehammer & tire exercise. 

Not a lot of first time's, eh? Keep in mind that I was closely monitored by my trainer 100% of the time. 


The Verdict


The price point may be on the higher end but given the quality of workout that I experienced all through out, I can easily say that this was a solid experience. Tiger City Boxing Gym is one of those diamonds in the rough. I would absolutely come back to this place (already did).

Did you enjoy reading my review of Xcon - Tiger City Boxing Gym? Leave a comment or suggest something I missed out below. Catch you again on my next gym review!

(Disclaimer: I was not paid in cash or any kind by Tiger City Boxing Gym management or its affiliates to make this review.)

34 comments:

  1. Bro whats the best boxing gym you have been to? And what other boxing gyms have you heard of as the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Best Leggings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. Best Leggings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers. www.trainingroomsg.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funtastic work! Great uploading articles! This article provides valuable information to us, Keep it up.gym clothes for men

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. Fitness BF Deals

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Probellum Store

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. fitness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. clothing brands

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. boxing ring wear

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place..แทงมวย

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gratisdumps Providing you the Premium Quality Microsoft AZ-104 Dumps PDF for Passing your AZ-104 Certification Exam. Prepare our Microsoft AZ-104 Exam Dumps PDF Now to Get Proper access on your AZ-104 Exam. If you choose our Microsoft AZ-104 Braindumps so You Can Easily Pass your AZ-104 Exam. Because we have the best AZ-104 Study Material for your AZ-104 Exam Preparation. So Why Are you waiting Come and get the reliable Microsoft AZ-104 Exam Dumps PDF to get good Marks in Your AZ-104 Exam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our Company Is providing the best Service Name as Free Car History Report. In this you can easily get the Details oof your cars just in seconds then why are you waiting for? Choose our website for getting the free car history reports.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our Company Is providing the best Service Name as Free Car History Report. In this you can easily get the Details oof your cars just in seconds then why are you waiting for? Choose our website for getting the free car history reports.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My name is Ibrahim John I am here to tell you about the Microsoft MB-240 Dumps PDF. I have passed my MB-240 Certification Exam by Preparing his Microsoft MB-240 Exam Dumps PDF. Because Gratisdumps have the best & Authentic MB-240 Study Material in All the World. So, I suggest you to choose Our Microsoft MB-240 Braindumps PDF For your MB-240 Exam Preparation. You can easily pass your Microsoft MB-240 Certification Exam Now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Description: Thanks For Sharing the Information on Weed in DC. So Now If you want to Get the More Info Related to the Weed in DC then u need to Visit Our Official Website
    Weed in Dc

    ReplyDelete
  19. As most diabetics know, a modicum of exercise can help you reverse your diabetes. But various exercises can also deliver a series of benefits for your brain. What are these benefits and which ways of exercising are most appropriate for brain health? bridge gymnastics

    ReplyDelete
  20. As most diabetics know, a modicum of exercise can help you reverse your diabetes. But various exercises can also deliver a series of benefits for your brain. What are these benefits and which ways of exercising are most appropriate for brain health? developpe ballet

    ReplyDelete
  21. Exercise can decrease you risk of heart disease, increase your energy levels, improve your mood and self confidence, improve your memory, help you sleep better, and slow down the aging process. And yet most of us still find plenty of excuses to not exercise ballet stretches for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I found your blog in a very new directory of blogs. I don’t discover how your website came up, should have been a typo. Your website looks good, use a nice day. pemeriksa backlink

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exercise can decrease you risk of heart disease, increase your energy levels, improve your mood and self confidence, improve your memory, help you sleep better, and slow down the aging process. And yet most of us still find plenty of excuses to not exercise gymnastics positions

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are a professional painting company in Dubai[b]painting company in Dubai[/b], offering the most innovative and efficient painting services in Dubai to our clients

    ReplyDelete
  25. We are a professional painting company in Dubai painting company in Dubai, offering the most innovative and efficient painting services in Dubai to our clients.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. r1fight

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you are looking for dental implants, you might also want to see Government Grants For Dental Implant.

    This goes without saying – Teeth are a very crucial organ of our body that we all need to take care of. Dental pain is known to be one of the most severe aches of the human body. A little Negligence in this section can cost you a lot later on.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing the information about Dc Weed in Washington Click here fore more information about our site….

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... unique business names

    ReplyDelete
  30. This article is really educational. I sincerely appreciate it. The pricing options is really affordable. Anyone of here looking for boxing classes abu dhabi check out https://kanesboxingacademy.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very interesting to read...You have provided a nice article....Thanks for sharing.
    custom erp developers

    ReplyDelete